Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Funny memory

I was driving to the school this morning to teach and I passed a bus stop full of people. There are two buses that use this stop and it made me remember my first week in Austin.

There was a bus stop near my apartment so I used to ride the bus down to campus. Well, one day I was on my way home from the music building and I knew I needed to be at this particular bus stop to catch the bus home. Well, since I wasn't really an avid public transportation specialist, I didn't realize that there may in fact be multiple buses picking up at that stop.

You guessed it, I did get on the wrong bus and as soon as we turned the corner (my stop was straight ahead) I knew I was in for trouble. I figured if I waited long enough, it would eventually get back to the stop and I could get off and catch the correct bus. WRONG. This bus went back to the turn-around point and that was the end of the line.

So, at the end of the line, I asked the bus driver how long until this bus went back to the school and he told me about an hour. I then told him where I was trying to go and asked for a different route. He suggested that I take Guadalupe (the main drag in Austin) back to campus. So I gave it a try.

I ended up about a mile from my apartment, which doesn't seem too bad until you remember that it was Austin and it was the end of August- i.e. about a thousand degrees and I was toting my saxophone and all my junk with me.

I hope the people at the bus stop know which bus they are getting on, because who knows where you could end up in old ABQ.

2 comments:

KB said...

What a dork. I can't believe you didn't know how to use a bus!

KB said...

OK. I don't know what's going on. I responded to this blog post, and it didn't post. Whatever.